St James Primary School Newsletter
Respect Perseverance Trust
12th May 2017
This week has been a stressful one for year 6 who have been sitting their SATs tests. Despite some very challenging papers the children conducted themselves superbly throughout the week and were focused on the task at hand at all times. Staff would like to say a huge well done to year 6, we are very proud of the way they have approached this testing time.
A team from St James took part in the year 5/6 tennis this week. After a competitive afternoon they won their way through to the finals. These matches were extremely close and at the end of the games we were drawn with Wantage. To decide the winner the organisers had to look at the number of points each school had won and we were narrowly beaten into second place. A massive well done to Milly, Ollie, Eleanor and Ralph.
There have been some date changes to activities over the next few weeks, please keep an eye on the list of dates for things that affect your child. Date changes are highlighted in red.
Fidget spinners and cubes are becoming an increasing problem in school. Far from being used as an aid to concentration they are becoming a distraction to both children and staff.
If staff think that a fidget toy would be a benefit to your child we will discuss the best approach and the most appropriate toy for your child with you. Other than the very few children where these toys could help, children will be asked to keep such items in their bags or lockers, or indeed at home.
Hanney Guides and Brownies are looking for more members. Guides meet on Mondays between 6.30 – 8.00pm for further information contact Sue Clark – 01235 765885. Brownies is on Tuesdays 6.00- 7.30pm, for further information contact Jackie Donald – 07919 927832.
Half-Term Childcare: Karibuni is open at the school from Tue-Fri of the coming half term if you need childcare. Email Ruth if you want to book email@example.com.
You may have noticed there have been some changes on the school field. A huge thank you to Mr Hopkins who spent several hours helping Mrs Geraghty on Saturday morning to remove wooden posts and make the back of the school a safer place for the children. We now have a Reading Tent pitched on this area so the children have a quiet place to retreat to.
Diary Dates (changes shown in red)
- Wednesday 17 May – Year 6 Junior Citizen
- Thursday 18th May – year 5 / 6 Cricket (girls am, boys pm)
- Tuesday 23rd May – Cycle Training
- Wednesday 24th May – Year 3/4 Quad Kids
- Thursday 25th May – Year 5/6 Quad Kids
- Friday 26th May – End of term. Class photos Pre school cake sale
- Monday 5th June – Start of term
- Monday 12th June – KS1 Quad Kids
- Tuesday 13th June – Tri Golf Yr3/4
- Wednesday 14th June – Sports Awards Evening
- Saturday 17th June – Summer Fete
- Monday 26th June – Sports Morning
- Tuesday 27th June – Phonics Evening
- Wednesday 28th June – Whole School Trip to Hill End. Rowling Class to stay overnight
- Wednesday 5th July – Art Day
- Thursday 6th July – Transfer Morning
- Friday 7th July – Girls Football
- Tuesday 11th July – Cycle test
- Thursday 13th July – Tennis Festival (am) Leavers Service in Church 2.00pm
- Friday 14th July – Reports home to parents
- Tuesday 18th July – Yr 6 Performance (2.00pm and 6.00pm)
- Thursday 20th July – Open Morning and Family picnic
- Friday 21st July – End of Term 12.15