St James Primary School Newsletter
Respect Perseverance Trust
1st May 2018
We have only been back at school for two weeks and already the children are completely immersed in their new topics and are looking forward to events and competitions that have been planned, we have a very busy few weeks ahead! Below you can see year 1 the morning after their sleep over in school.
Year 6 SATs are just around the corner. The children have all been working very hard towards these. During SATs week we offer breakfast for all children in year 6 from 8.20am in their classroom.
Well done to the two teams who took part in the Year 5/6 football competition at Millbrook. Despite a very hot, sticky afternoon the children all played brilliantly.
Friend of St James are one of the ‘worthy causes’ that you can contribute your green tokens to if you shop at Waitrose in Wantage. If you do shop here, please collect your token and add it to the friends of St James collection. All money raised goes straight to helping us to provide the children with even more exciting events and opportunities.
Jacket potatoes continue to be very popular as a choice for school dinners. Please remind your child that if this is their choice they will also need to have some vegetables or salad.
Last week a team of three children from year 6 took part in the VAT Mini Speaks competition. All three girls conducted themselves superbly – confident and mature in their delivery of a speech asking whether primary school children should be allowed mobile phones in school. Despite some tough competition from the other VAT primary schools, they were delighted to be crowned the winners, the second year running that St James have won this competition. Congratulations to Beau, Alice and Isabelle on their brilliant performance.
It was brilliant to see a large group of children from St James take part in the VAT dance festival last week. This is the first time we have taken part in this activity and the feedback from the children was so positive we will definitely be going again! There were so many different children there all taking part in the activities and fully engaged in everything asked of them, it was a pleasure to watch.
- Tuesday 1st May – Year 3/4 mini red tennis
- Wednesday 9th May – Year 5/6 tennis
- Wednesday 9th May – Friends of St James meeting 8pm Black Horse
- Week Beginning – 14th May Year 6 SATs
- Friday 18th May – Rounders competition
- Wednesday 23rd May – Rowling Class trip to Wantage Museum
- Thursday 24th May – Class Photos
- Friday 25th May – End of term 5
- Monday 4th June – Start of term 6
- Tuesday 19th June – Whole School Trip – Hill End
- Friday 29th June – Sports Morning and picnic lunch (parents welcome)
- Saturday 30th June – Summer Fete
- Thursday 5th July – Transfer day
- Friday 13th July – Reports to parents
- Thursday 19th July – Year 5/6 production matinee and evening performance
- Monday 23rd July – Leavers Service 2.15 in church
- Wednesday 25th July – End of term 12.15pm