All primary, secondary and special schools, are accountable to their governing bodies, which in turn are accountable to parents and the community. Not only do governors bring their own knowledge and skills to the role, but can also learn how our school is run. The role of a school governor is, a serious undertaking and also enormously rewarding.
Please get in touch if you feel this is an area of the school where you would like to be involved.
- Mrs Janice Peacock – Head Teacher (By virtue of position held)
- Kathy Ethelston – Chair – VAT Director Appointed
- Gillian Thomson – Vice – VAT Director Appointed
- Katherine Hodson – VAT Director Appointed
- Vacancy – Parent (Parents elect)
- Laura Quinton Maryon – Staff (Staff elects)
- Georgia Newman – Parent (Parents elect)
- Catherine Tysoe – Foundation (Diocese appoints)
- John Durant – Foundation (Holder Vicar of the Vale Benefice)
- Diane Ewart – (GB appoints) Associate, Not permitted to vote
- Pamela Allum – Local Authority Clerk
To see more details including term of office and designated responsibilities, please click on the following links:
St James – Governor Website Requirements 2017
To read our Governing body’s register of Business Interests, please click on the following link – st-james-interests-register-2016-17
Vale Academy Trust – Terms of Reference and St James VAT Scheme of Delegation to Local Governing Bodies
Governors are elected to serve for a period of four years. Any parent having a child in school is eligible for nomination as a Parent Governor. We currently have a vacancy for a Foundation Governor, but this will shortly be filled by the Diocese.
The Governors meet at least once a term and are assigned responsibilities which form the focus for their regular visits to school. During these visits they meet with the staff and children and observe lessons or events as part of their role as ‘critical friend’. More details on the role of Governor can be found on the Oxfordshire County Council website.