Welcome to Shakespeare Class – Year 6
Class Teachers: Miss Dade
Autumn Term 1
Welcome back our new Year 6s
As the children settle in to their new classroom and routines, the whole school will spend the first two weeks exploring the fantastic book ‘The Promise’ by Nicola Davies.
During this unit we will be thinking about our local environment, the importance of trees and how we can help the environment. We will also be looking in depth at the book, thinking about the characters and their feelings.
Our two books to inspire our writing will be ‘The Arrival’ by Shaun Tan and ‘Sweet Clara and the Focus on our key text of ‘Way Home’ by Libby Hathorn. This story explores the life of a homeless child on an eventful night. During this we will be writing: Diary entries, recounts and newspaper reports.
In Maths we will be consolidating and extending our knowledge of Place Value, Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division.
Our focus for Science this term is Evolution and Inheritance. We will be answering the following questions:
- What are inherited characteristics?
- What are adaptive characteristics?
- How and why have the peppered moths evolved?
- How can we model evolution and inheritance?
- How have ideas about evolution developed over time?
- How have humans developed over time?
Our Big Question
Our big questions this term is ‘How does life on the streets compare across the world?’ and we will be answering the following questions:
- What is homelessness?
- Why do people become homeless?
- How does it feel to be homeless?
- Why are children on the street in Uganda?
- What can we do to help?
- Our PE days this term will be Monday and Friday. Children need to wear their full PE kit to school on these days, please ensure this is appropriate for the weather.
Please see our Topic web for more information
Any website links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by St James CE School of any of the products, services or opinions. St James CE School bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Please contact us if a link fails to work or takes you to a site that you would not expect.